Ignite Waterloo #2 is coming your way

Some of the Ignite organizers got together for a lunch meeting today to talk about the first event last week and to begin planning for the second event, tentatively set for March 2010. The general feeling is that, minor glitches aside, the first event worked quite well.

But others may have a different take.

Were you at our first event? If so, what did you think? What did you like? What might you want to see done differently? Please let us know by leaving a comment for this post.

7 Responses to “Ignite Waterloo #2 is coming your way”

1. David Swart says:

With some publicity _outside_ the usual social networking methods, there could be a crowd as varied and diverse as the speakers. ( It seemed many people at ignite knew each other. While most of my own colleagues and friends had not heard of the event)

2. Mark Connolly says:

That’s a good observation David. What you describe really just reflects the way that we got this thing off the ground — it was very much based on letting people know through social media, as that was easy for us to do and it leveraged our existing networks. Also, we really didn’t know how well it was going to go! Having said that, we certainly want to broaden our scope and let more people know about the next event. Do you have any ideas yourself on how we might do that?

3. David Swart says:

Take my suggestions with a grain of salt, I’m not an expert.

But newspaper, radio, and posters come to mind. I first heard of kwartzlab from an article in the Record for instance.

4. Karen Schulman Dupuis says:

It would be great if you could build some type of networking component for those that don’t know most people in the room.

5. Dan Silivestru says:

The event was great. Good crowd and very engaging presentations. I agree that more publicity in some of the more ‘traditional’ mediums will attract a more diverse crowed.

We’ve already got some exposure on The Record :-) http://news.therecord.com/videogallery/639388

6. Mark Connolly says:

Great suggestions. None of us are experts either. I will point out that, appearances to the contrary, I myself didn’t know the vast majority of people in the room! Still, the event really is about meeting people and engaging in conversation. We’ll give thought to how we can support more of that. Do you have any ideas, Karen?

7. Graham says:

I thought it was fantastic. I missed the first part but I was impressed with the passion of all the speakers.

I will definitely try to make the next one.