Archive for June, 2012
We received a great collection of entries for our Community Contest, however, we can only pick one winner. The best entry we received that best shared the Ignite Waterloo experience was actually from one of the speakers of Ignite Waterloo 9!
Congratulations to Jaymis Goertz, who spoke at Ignite Waterloo 9 with the topic: The Zen of Gardening or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Embrace Chaos. He submitted to us an honest and eye opening blog post about his experience as a speaker for Ignite Waterloo, and how it differs from other events in the area. You can check out his blog post here.
We would like to thank everyone who submitted an entry. We are glad we were able to touch so many people at Ignite Waterloo 9.
We’ll be announcing details for our next event, Ignite Waterloo 10, very shortly. Stay tuned for details! You will certainly not want to miss this one!
Ignite Waterloo is all about inspiring people, igniting passion, and sharing ideas. Attendees of Ignite Waterloo tend to leave the event much different then when they walked in. Some are motivated to change something, others are emotionally charged, others want to share an idea of their own on stage! Everyone is affected differently. We try to capture as much of the excitement of an Ignite Waterloo event as we can through a variety of means. This year, we want to get the attendees more involved than ever.
We are launching a contest that will start when the doors open for Ignite Waterloo 9 at 7:30pm on June 12. The contest will end at midnight on June 19.
We want you to share with us your experience at Ignite Waterloo 9! To take part in the contest, we want you to send us your best photos, links to blogs, vblog posts, etc. that highlight your Ignite Waterloo experience. We’ll also be monitoring twitter and FB as well for some of the best posts and tweets. Be creative!
We will be selecting 5 winners and each will be getting a ticket to Ignite Waterloo 10! As you know, tickets to our events are getting very hard to acquire and this will ensure that you can attend our next event!
Submissions can be sent to email@example.com with the Subject Line: IW9 Community Contest
We look forward to your entries!
Tonight is the night! We’re incredibly excited for our 9th Ignite Waterloo event at Perimiter Institute!
To help you prepare, we’d like to provide you with some last minute details:
- Doors open at Perimeter Institute at 7:30 pm to allow for general mingling and merriment. The event officially starts at 8:00 pm and is scheduled to finish at 10:30 pm.
- Perimeter Institute is located at 31 Caroline Street North in Waterloo by Waterloo Park.
- There is limited parking at Perimeter Institute but there is plenty of parking by Waterloo Town Square.
- As always, we will have tasty food available as well as a cash bar.
- For those of you who paid for their tickets in USD, we have a special treat for you when you come in!
- After the event we will be holding an official after-party at the Black Hole Bistro inside the Perimeter Institute.
- We are holding a special COMMUNITY CONTEST. Details can be found here.
- For those of you unable to get tickets for the event, we will be live streaming the event here!
We’re looking forward to seeing you there tomorrow!
The rumours are true folks! We would like to officially announce that we will be live streaming Ignite Waterloo 9!
As you know, tickets for Ignite Waterloo 9 went incredibly fast and unfortunately, a lot of people were unable to get their hands on one. To ensure the community can still get involved with Ignite Waterloo 9 even without tickets, we’ve made arrangements to have our next event streamed live from Perimeter Institute, through the internet, right into your computer!
We are very excited about doing this and look forward to bringing all of the Ignite Waterloo passion and thought provoking ideas right into your home or office. Details on where you can access the live stream will be released shortly.
We are just days away from Ignite Waterloo 9! You’ve been waiting very patiently to find out what amazing talks we’ll have on June 12 at the Perimeter Institute and now the wait is over! We are proud to announce our eclectic mix of speakers for Ignite Waterloo 9!! Hopefully you have your tickets. The list is subject to change but here’s who you can expect to grace the stage:
- Aaron Male: “Potable Local Passion”
- Farina Situmorang: “A Solid ‘Be’ Effort: “Confessions of a City Girl Trapped in KW”
- Gary Askin: “The War on Drugs and other Disasters”
- Richard Holmes : “Becoming the person you would like”
- Jack Lazarski Parkinson: “My Little Pony: “Not just for your daughter any more!”
- Ryan Huckle: “Why You (Probably) Won’t Be A Hero”
- Damian Pope “Outreach at Perimeter”
- Jacqui Terry: “Perspectives from Africa”
- Gord Tanner: “Recognizing Inflection”
- Trent Tucker: “Everything I needed to know about teaching I learned from CBC…”
- Nicholas Wu: “What a goose taught me about Social Media”
- Jaymis Goertz: “The Zen of Gardening or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Embrace Chaos”
- Jason Hammond: “Getting to 5% car ownership in 5 years”
- Stephanie Rozek: “That’s How the Light Gets In”
- Matt Lantz: “Why grey matters”
Doors to the Perimeter Institute open at 7:30pm. Be sure to get there early for networking and general merriment! The event officially begins at 8:00pm.
After the last Ignite Waterloo event, our attendees were so incredibly inspired and motivated that they wanted to find a place to keep talking and share ideas. So for Ignite Waterloo 9, we’ll be hosting an official after party at the Black Hole Bistro right inside the Perimeter Institute for all of the attendees. So please feel free to stick around after the event and chat with your fellow Ignite Waterloo attendees! The after party is scheduled to begin right after the event at 10:30pm.
Thanks to an unbelievable response from the community, regular admission tickets for Ignite Waterloo 9 sold out within 2 hours! We were amazed! We’ve been hearing from a lot of people in the Region that they have been counting down to the event and we realize that no one was kidding around. It looks like we are going to have an incredible event on June 12th at Perimeter Institute!
If you were unable to get tickets, you still have a few options:
If you don’t mind spending the extra cash.
We have several “Ignite Supporter” tickets for sale still at $50 a piece. These tickets will offer admission to the event as well as a few extra perks. (These are sold out now as well!)
We’re always looking for sponsors to help us with putting on the event. For more information look here.
Thanks to everyone for their interest in Ignite Waterloo!
As previously announced, Ignite Waterloo 9 is at 7:30pm on Tuesday June 12 at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics as part of there wonderful cultural outreach program. As always, we have a great lineup of speakers.
Note that in a departure from previous events, doors for Ignite Waterloo 9 open at 7:30pm.
They will go fast!